Flu Season is Upon Us
- Keep your immune system in check by taking a good multiple vitamin with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Zinc.
- Wash your hands frequently with plain soap and water. Antibacterial soaps are unnecessary. In fact, antibacterial soaps make us resistant to antibiotic medications when we really need them.
- Cover your mouth when coughing and sneezing to prevent the spread of the flu.
- Avoid sugar as much as possible. Sugar depletes our immune system making us more susceptible to colds and flu.
- Get enough sleep. Make sure you get eight hours of sleep a day. Not enough rest will deplete your immune system.
- Exercise regularly to lower your stress response and build up your immune system.
- Eat garlic, ginger and onions regularly in your foods. These foods naturally has anti-viral and antibactial effects.
- Oscillococcinum or Gripp-Heel are homeopathic remedies that can reduce the duration and severity of flu symptoms especially if taken within the first 24 hours of the flu.
- Influenzinum is the homeopathic alternative to the flu shot.
- Other anti-viral herbs that are beneficial on the onset of the cold or flu include astragalus, echinacea, ligusticum, schizandrae and elderberry.
- If you do catch the flu or cold consider not going to work or school to prevent the spread of this virus. It is best to stay at home until the fever resolves.
At the Natural Pharmacy we carry many products for cold/flu prevention, anti-viral herbs for treating colds and flu’s, teas, cough syrups and drops and immune boosters. These products are always good to have on hand in the cold and flu season.