Nov 14, 2013
10 Ways to Have a Healthy Holiday & (Not Gain Extra Pounds From All That Fruit Cake!)
1. Do Not Stop Exercising. We all need at least 1 hour of exercise 5x a week to maintain our weight. Plan a group exercise event before eating the big Thanksgiving dinner such as snowshoeing, skiing, or hiking etc.
2. When Drinking Alcohol, Do So in Moderation. Wine contains fewer calories than beer.
Limit your alcohol intake to no more than 2 drinks 2-3x a week. Alcohol contains empty calories
and a lot of sugar which can cause inflammation and has been associated with an increase risk of
3. Watch Your Portion Sizes. Appetizers may not ber very filling and can contain a lot
of calories, especially if they are creamy. Healthy appetizers can include goat cheese and
rice crackers, olives, hummus, pates, baked corn ships with salsa and guacamole, veggies with
a yogurt based dip, baked kale chips, veggie chips etc. Be careful with your cheese and nut
intake since these foods tend to have a lot of calories.
4. Drink at Least 8-10 Glasses of Water a Day to Stay Hydrated. Dehydration can cause fatigue, headaches, dizziness, and can cause us to eat more.
5. Bake Healthy Desserts by putting one fourth the amount of sugar in the recipe or
substituting a natural sweetener such as agave, stevia, honey, apple juice, or 100% maple syrup.
6. Eat in a Relaxed Atmosphere and Chew Your Food Thoroughly. When under
stress many people eat quickly without even realizing what their eating thus do not get full.
Each bite should be chewed twenty times for proper absorption and digestion.
7. If You Splurge One Night Then the Next Day Exercise and Eat a Little Less such
as soups and salads. Veggies tend to be low in calories, for soups stick with chicken and
veggies, chili’s or other vegetable soups. Creamy soups and salad dressing are loaded with calories.
8. Create a Healthy Thanksgiving Theme etc. Healthy should not be boring. Have
your guests bring a healthy appetizer, main dish or dessert.
9. Use Fresh Spices for Flavorings instead of heavy cream sauces.
10. Try to Relax and Not Get Too Stressed. People tend to eat more in stressful situations. So remember to breathe.
MAY YOUR HOLIDAYS BE MERRY
AND YOUR BODIES HEALTHY