- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup egg whites or 2 large eggs (use egg replacer for vegan version)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 + 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup protein powder, vanilla (add extra 2-3 tbsp maple syrup if using unflavored)*
- 1 + 1/2 cup quick or old fashioned rolled oats (use certified gluten free oats for GF version)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Cooking spray
Sep 26, 2014
Pumpkin Protein Bars
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, line 8 x 8 square baking dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, applesauce, egg whites, maple syrup, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and protein powder. Add oats and walnuts, stir well. Pour mixture in prepared baking dish, level with spatula and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool for another 30 minutes. Cut with a serrated knife into 8 or 10 bars***. Serve warm or cold.
Bars made with eggs will come out more moist and rich, but for a leaner version use egg whites - they still are super moist. **Substitute protein powder with almond or any nut flour. ***For smaller portions cut into 10 bars.
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.