Ways to prevent venous thrombosis while flying include:
General measures for all travelers:
- Avoid dehydration;
- Avoid constrictive clothing from the waist down;
- Walk around the cabin at regular intervals if feasible (at least every 2 hours); and
- Periodically flex and extend feet and knees.
- Properly fitted below-the-knee compression stockings providing 15-30 mm Hg pressure at the ankle; and
- A single dose of low-molecular-weight heparin administered prior to departure for flights (and potentially other forms of travel) longer than 6-8 hours.